Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shortloin - Dry Age. The Breakdown.

 18 days on the hook. Perfectly aged.
 The face-cut on a Dry Aged Shortloin is a tricky decision, if you cut too deep the loss is pricey - until you've mastered the task, taking baby steps is your best bet. Take small cuts until all of the outer crust has been removed.
 The piece on your right is what I'll use for T-bones, I'll cut the primal at 6 1/4" from the face cut, yeilding 5 1 1/4" steaks.
The piece on your left is what I use for New York Strips.
 Animals are split at the 4th and 5th rib for the Chuck primal and Rib primal and at the 12th and 13th for the  Shortloin. This is the 13th rib. I like to take this off before I bone out the Tenderloin and chime the cut.
 Removing the Tenderloin is pretty simple, stay as close to the bone as you can and peel away.
 Beautifully marbled. Displaying primals is an art in and of itself.
 Chine the spine at a slight angle, make sure you have a firm grip on the meat before you do this. The saw blade will want to pull the meat down into it and your fingers can easily follow.
 I call these buttons - an old manager of mine always talked about sewing these onto a shirt.
 Case Ready New Yorks
Porterhouse and T-bones














If you find yourself wondering "Is it a bad thing that I'm drooling?" The answer is no.

No comments:

Post a Comment